About me

My photo
As defined by my occupation, I am a computer technician. I also love life and have a restless curiosity about new things. I am constantly amazed by the insight and creativity of others.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

A Bright and Shining Star

It happened quite unexpectedly. A chance encounter, a quick word or two, and suddenly there was a spark. Something caught her interest and drew her attention. What began as polite greetings and clever banter evolved into conversations and gentle flirts, which in turn became probing questions and the tentative touching of minds. In the initial excitement of that first contact, we discovered fresh new perspectives and found sweetness, until finally, somewhere in the tangle of thoughts and intentions, there came a connection that caused that tiny spark to flicker into a small but steady flame.

At first, nobody but us even noticed that small glint of light, sparkling just above the horizon. It was only after they saw her attention being gradually drawn away that anyone would start to take note and look in my direction. As we reached out for each other, we found common ground and slowly but surely, that small flame would grow ever hotter and brighter. Unwrapping each other like precious gifts, we marveled at what we found within. It was a wondrous time of exploration, where with each new interaction came a fascinating new discovery and we reveled in each others' company.

In the course of time, that which had started out as a tiny spark had finally blossomed into a bright and shining star that held us tightly in it's orbit. We rejoiced in it's light, while it's radiant power fed our hopes and dreams. It was wonderful, lovely, and perfect... It felt like it would last forever.

But stars don't live forever. Some explode in flaming cataclysm, destroying everything around them, while others just grow cold and dark as they quietly burn themselves out, all alone in the night.

I barely noticed that first pinpoint of light, just above the horizon. Even as it grew, stronger and brighter, I paid little heed to it. It was only after her attention had begun to be drawn toward this new, and ever brightening beacon that I really became aware of it, while the same time, I could see our own light starting to dim. The rush of time and the press of events had taken their toll. Our well trodden paths had become ruts, and what was once thought of as new and clever, now seemed like pedantic prattle... Hollow echos from an empty room. Familiarity had bred, if not exactly contempt, at least indifference and I watched with increasing consternation and sadness as the distance between us grew. In spite of all efforts, our flame was dying, even as she was slowly but surely, being drawn into a new orbit. The inevitable happened. Our fire was extinguished... The light had gone out, and as I took a last look back, I saw that a new bright and shining star that had arisen in my place.

It's a time of quiet now. It is time to reconsider, to grow and rethink, and I am content to wait here quietly, until that next unexpected chance encounter and the sudden spark that could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment