About me

My photo
As defined by my occupation, I am a computer technician. I also love life and have a restless curiosity about new things. I am constantly amazed by the insight and creativity of others.

Monday, October 14, 2013

Quiet Carnage

I was cleaning my apartment over the weekend and could hardy believe how bad the place had gotten in just a little over a week. Considering my work schedule, in combination with general laziness, it's little wonder that the place went from a reasonably comfortable living space to total wreckage. All it takes is a little neglect or lack of focus, and before you know it, you turn around and the place is almost uninhabitable.

It's the same with life. It's easy to fall into a pattern of neglect and complacency until one day, you take a long hard look, and you can clearly see the carnage. All of those things left undone, opportunities missed, wrong turns, failure to plan properly and time wasted... probably that most of all. It takes years to get that way, and it happens quietly, with the rot slowly and insidiously settling in almost unnoticed. Initiative, imagination, and creativity can dissipate over time, leaving dreams and plans in hollow ruins, while papering them over with the false and brittle facade of contentment.

The realization may come slowly, like the morning sun burning through fog, or it may fall suddenly, with sleep depriving ferocity, like some dark epiphany in the middle of the night. No matter how it manifests itself, be it a still small voice or clap of thunder, it is a message that must be acted upon.

I have had my moment of enlightenment and in a sense, it's one reason for this blog. It is tacit acknowledgment that things are not as they should be and it's time to move in a different direction. By putting things down in writing and in plain sight, It becomes a daily reminder to myself to move forward. In addition, a blog will help me to develop my writing ability, and give me the chance to explore a different way of communicating, while hopefully opening the door to new interactions.

I am trying to incorporate new and different ideas into my daily life in order to jump start creativity and initiative while at the same time, trying to break some of those bad habits that I have allowed to linger and cause damage. I am also slowly but surely attempting to do new things that will stretch the very limited boundaries of my comfort zone.

John F. Kennedy once said: “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”

It is time to start looking to the future again.

6 comments:

  1. I think this is true of many and comes in many forms.

    There is a (mis)quote attributed to Thoreau that I love (despite it being a misquote):

    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them."

    While I'd not say 'most', I think many do. And it's not that they don't realise and decide to do nothing, it's that inertia is powerful and the daily mundane still needs doing, and the plodding of life saps energy and will and desire. And so it goes, day after day.

    Kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone. I hope you find some uncomfortable goodness there.

    Ferns

    ReplyDelete
  2. inertia is powerful and the daily mundane still needs doing, and the plodding of life saps energy and will and desire

    This is *such* an important point! The daily stuff of living can become such an overwhelming force, that it can make any thought change seem to be an impossible task. This is why I am proceeding slowly. I figure that making a gradual shift, in a number of small steps, would be the best strategy.

    Thanks as always, for your support.!

    By the way, I love that quote too! I didn't know it was a misquote though. I learned something today! Heh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! - It can be scary out there, but it's a good fear, tinged with the excitement of unknown possibilities. The first steps are the hardest, and you're already well on your way down the path. I think it's great that you're writing about your journey. When you get discouraged, it can be a handy measuring stick of just how far you've come!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's a good fear, tinged with the excitement of unknown possibilities."

    Yes, it certainly can be, and I like what you say about it being "tinged with excitement" because that is a point I'd like to work toward... It's the thing I haven't felt in so long, and you're so right about the first steps being the hardest. For me, I think the hardest part is finding the motivation to get started in the first place. Thanks for dropping by and adding your voice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is never too late my friend. You can do this and I fully believe in you!! We all have history that we describe as carnage in one way or another. Keep your chin up.

    Mysticlez

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very sweet! Thank you mystic! It's always appreciated to get such a solid vote of confidence! *Happy Smile*

    ReplyDelete